SEMINAR: Linguistics Seminar Series- Zoom Edition
|Linguistics Seminar Series- Zoom Edition : Ngalimi bidagu yan.guwa furnace-di “From the quiet, into The Furnace”: Translating a sleeping language for a feature film
This presentation will discuss the process of translating scenes for a feature film “The Furnace” into Badimaya language. Badimaya is a language of the Midwest, belonging to the area around the town of Mt Magnet. We will discuss the many facets of this project, from the translation and community consultation, to liaising with the production team and the actors, to language advocacy and intellectual rights.
The seminar will be presently jointly by former and current representatives of the Bundiyarra-Irra Wangga Language Centre in Geraldton, Western Australia and people involved in the production of the film.
• Jacqui Cook is a linguist at Bundiyarra-Irra Wangga
• Dr James Bednall is a linguist at Groote Eylandt Language Centre (previously at Bundiyarra-Irra Wangga)
• Godfrey Simpson is a language specialist at Bundiyarra-Irra Wangga
• Rosie Sitorus is a Bundiyarra-Irra Wangga coordinator
• Roderick McKay is the director of “The Furnace”
Zoom Session Details:
Jacqui Cook, James Bednall, Godfrey Simpson and Rosie Sitorus
Fri, 29 May 2020 13:30
Fri, 29 May 2020 15:00
Karen Eichorn <[email protected]>
Wed, 27 May 2020 09:59
- Locations of venues on the Crawley and Nedlands campuses are
available via the Campus Maps website.
- Download this event as:
Mail this event: