|CWR Presents : Agricultural land management strategies to reduce phosphorus loads in the Gippsland Lakes, Australia.
A target to reduce phosphorus flows into the Gippsland Lakes in south-eastern Australia by 40% in order to improve water quality has previously been established by stakeholders. This target, like many others worldwide, has been set mostly on the basis of environmental concerns, with limited consideration of issues such as technical feasibility and socio-economic constraints.
This talk will outline an integrated analysis at the catchment scale to assess the agricultural land management changes required to achieve this target, and to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of these changes. It appears technically feasible to achieve a 40% reduction in P load entering the Lakes. However, there is little or no chance of investment in a 40% reduction being cost-effective. On the other hand, a 20% P reduction could be achieved at much lower cost.
The major implications of this work for agriculturally induced diffuse-source pollution include the need for feedback between goal setting and program costs, and consideration of factors such as the levels of landholder adoption of new practices that are required and the feasibility of achieving those adoption levels.
David Pannell is Winthrop Professor in the School of Agricultural and Resource Economics at the University of Western Australia, Director of the Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy, and a Federation Fellow of the Australian Research Council.
His research includes the economics of land and water conservation; environmental policy; farmer adoption of land conservation practices; risk management; and economics of farming systems. He was President of the Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in 2000.
Author of 170 journal articles and book chapters, Davidís research has won awards in the USA, Australia, Canada and the UK, including the 2009 Eureka Prize for Interdisciplinary Research.
PS* This seminar is free and open to the public & no RSVP required.
Professor David Pannell, ARC Federation Fellow, Winthrop Professor & Director, Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of Western Australia
Blakers Lecture Room, Ground Floor, Mathematics Building, The University of Western Australia
: 6488 7565
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:00
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:00
Askale Abebe <[email protected]>
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:05
- Locations of venues on the Crawley and Nedlands campuses are
available via the Campus Maps website.
- Download this event as:
Mail this event: